Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Blog post #10

In Sir Ken Robinson's video he discusses bringing on a learning revolution. I really enjoyed this video. One of the things that really stood out to me in the beginning of the video was when he was talking about not realizing the things we take for granted. It really stuck with me when he said we don't really know what we take for granted. How true is this? There have been many times where I have taken school for granted, when there are so many people out there who would love to have an education. We should never look at the opportunity to expand our knowledge as a hassle or something that we just "get through". I also really liked his example of how people over the age of 25 wear wristwatches, while people under the age of 25 don't feel the need to. I guess I've never really paid attention to why people do or don't wear a wristwatch, but it is very interesting how just a few years can make a change between two generations. I also appreciated the way he said that college is not for everyone. It seems like so many people today think that if you don't get a degree you won't amount to much in life. I believe this is completely untrue. There are so many people out there who have a calling on their life to do something that has nothing to do with whether or not you have a degree. Even in high school it seems like they teach college as the best thing you can do after graduation. In many cases, it is. But college is not for everyone, and not everyone needs college to be successful in life. My favorite part was when he said "Human communities depend upon a diversity of talent, not a singular conception of ability". Just because someone graduates school does not make them any more able, just like someone is not less able because they did not go to college. I hope that as a teacher, I will be able to personalize my curriculum to meet the needs of the students i'm teaching, more so than just trying to make sure they pass state tests. While I do think that the ability to pass a state test is important, it is not nearly as important as my students really learning what is being taught, and having a passion to learn more. Learning should be something students look forward to, not something the don't care about or something they don't feel like they are good at. I hope that I can build up the dreams of my students. I hope that I can make them feel like if they try hard enough, they can achieve anything. Even if their life looks different than the person next to them. I very much enjoyed Sir Robinson, and I plan to watch much more by him in the future.

 Learning words

1 comment:

  1. I agree, college is not for every one, but I believe it is an important step in an individuals education path. Yes, some people achieve great things without a college degree, but it is not common. The unfortunate thing is that some companies will not even look at you for a job if you do not have a college degree.

    ReplyDelete