Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Blog post #9

I feel like Ms. Cassidy's interview was very insightful. I really liked the way she mentioned that teaching is not what it was 20, 10, even 5 years ago, so we can't teach the same ways we did back then. I really liked the video of her students showing us around their classroom/the things they do in their classroom. I feel like this video showed me different ways that I can keep my students identity safe online, like using first names with no last names, and never putting a picture with the name. At first, I was very standoffish to blogs in my classroom, but the more I watch and learn about other teachers successful experiences, the more I feel that is something I would for sure like to do in my own classroom. I liked the idea of parents being able to see their children's (published) work at any time, and also the way that you can track your child's progress throughout the school year. I really agreed with her when she said that there is almost no better way to teach students in this day and age, since they are so technologically minded. She said that them not having to "power down" when they came to class was good for them. I feel like technology can really make learning fun for the students, and that they would gain so much knowing how to do these things at such a young age. The two issues that I feel i may run into would be parents not wanting their children online/not wanting their child's information online, and students who may not have a computer at home they could work on. For both these issues, I would make sure that these students could do the same or a very similar assignment in written form that could be turned in to me. I really enjoyed listening to Ms. Cassidy and would love to see an updated video from her.

I think therefore I blog

2 comments:

  1. Technology is definitely a MUST for students in this day and age. They work it so easily and love getting to learn in fun, creative ways! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The two issues that I feel i may run into would be parents not wanting their children online/not wanting their child’s information online, and students who may not have a computer at home they could work on.”

    There should always be alternate assignments available because there will always be parents who will not agree with an assignment or project. I think as school systems evolve and integrate the use of technology, the parents will not object as much and maybe in the near future every student will be afforded the opportunity to have access to technology at home. Good job on the post.

    ReplyDelete