Saturday, February 15, 2014

Blog Post 5

In the videos Project based learning part 1: experiences of a third grade teacher and part two I listened as Anthony Capps discussed with Dr.Strange his experience with project based learning in his third grade classroom. I really liked the example he used when he said that he feels project based learning works best when it has something to do with the community, because it shows the students that this really is something they would use in real life. I also really learned a lot about they way he mentioned tying in multiple subjects within one project. I also found his story about the father who would not let his child participate in the afghanistan project very interesting. It reminded me that, although I may find something a great learning experience, someone else may find it offensive.

iCurio

In this video, Anthony discusses iCurio. Before this video, I had never heard of iCurio, but I think that it is a very clever and necessary idea. In short, it is a search engine more or less that filters out sites, videos and images for maturity or age purposes. Anthony also explains that it has this storage feature that they use for their projects in which they need to do research or use information they have found online. I loved the idea of a directory for historical figures. That seems like a tool that would come in handy for any grade level in elementary school, even through middle school and even high school.

Discovery education

In this video, Anthony discusses Discovery Education. This is tool that all Baldwin County teachers have available to them. Discovery Ed is basically a search engine, where the children or teacher can type in something (in the video, Anthony uses the example plants) and it brings up text along with a video or image of what was typed in.

In the next video, Dr.Strange and Anthony gave us many useful tips for being a teacher. They gave many good tips. I especially liked the one about always needing/wanting to learn yourself. As a teacher, i'm sure you are always learning and growing and changing right along with your students. Another good tip was that being a teacher means always learning to be a teacher. It isn't something you do at work, it is something you do 24/7. I loved the one about needing to be flexible. We all know, kids are so unpredictable. You never know what they are going to do or say. Even more than children, life can be pretty unpredictable. Being a teacher means being able to teach, and being ready, no matter what surprises may come your way.

In Use technology, don't teach it! Anthony discusses all the ways technology is helpful in his classroom, and how much he uses it. I really liked the way he mentions that using technology isn't messy and doesn't involve a clean up. I've never really thought of it that way before. He also says that technology isn't something you should take time out to "teach", but something you should make sure to use. He relays the message that it is so necessary, and almost unavoidable.

In the last video, Additional thoughts about lessons , Anthony gives us some last minute 'tips' or information about being a teacher. He says that lessons are "four layered" and that you have to think about teaching lessons in these four steps. The first "layer" or step is remembering to teach by year or grade level. Then, have you made an appropriate lesson plan and curriculum. You also need to look at it in terms of time. Some things take a while to teach, others are quick. Also, you have certain time limits to teach things by. Last, you need to know your daily lesson and really prepare for it.

I learned a lot from these conversations with Anthony Capps. I learned about the best ways to use PBL, and the issues that may sometimes arise when using it. I learned about Discovery Ed and iCurio. I learned many helpful tips and lessons that go along with being a successful teacher Many of these things were things I had never even considered or heard of before. Anthony seems like he is a very proud and successful teacher, and I enjoyed hearing the things he had to say. I also watched his video "A day as a third grade teacher" because I also want to be a third grade teacher. He seems to really love and take pride in what he does. I hope to one day be half the teacher he is.

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn

1 comment: