Monday, February 24, 2014

Blog Post #7

I was really inspired by Randy Pausch's Last Lecture. He gave so many good life tips, and seemed so optimistic although he was facing a terminal illness. It really makes you stop and think about all that you have to be thankful for.

Randy taught us a lot about learning. He taught us that brick walls are just a way to prove how much we want it. How often in life do we hit a brick wall and think "well, I can't go any further. I guess i'll just give up." A brick wall really is just a way to prove how hard you are willing to work for something. Here, he taught us to learn to persevere and to "keep on keeping on". Another great lesson he taught us about learning (and about life in general) was "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." So many times in life, we don't get what we want and things don't turn out the way we think they should. But in every one of those cases, you gain life experience and hopefully leave that situation a little bit smarter than you were before. Here, he taught us that the journey, even when disappointing or even painful, can be more important than the destination/outcome. He taught us to stick to things. He said that gold is usually at the bottom of a barrel full of crap. Have the determination and willpower to see things through, even when they are difficult. He said to apologise when you make a mistake. I feel like this is such a valuable lesson to learn as a human being. Be honest, and apologise when you need to.

Randy taught us a lot about teaching too. He taught me to always try to push my students for better. Help them to become the best them that they can be. He also taught about believing in people, and believing in his students. He taught about being present and listening. As a teacher, you have the power to influence and be there for your students in a way that no one else can...take advantage of that. Be there for them to help them grow and learn. He taught me that sometimes in teaching one lesson, you are really teaching a more difficult lesson in disguise. He said that students may be more open to learning something difficult, if they think that are learning something more simple. He taught me to not complain, to just work harder. I hope to take this with me into teaching. Instead of complaining about a difficult student, I hope to just work harder to help them.

Randy Pausch was very inspiring. I hope to be as proud and as happy with my life when it is my time to go as he was.

Are you spending your time on the right things? cause time is all you really have

4 comments:

  1. Allie,
    I agree with you he is an inspired person and the brick wall that he kept mentioning is what I wrote about and then I wrote about how the audience was never bored. When I read your post It made me think deeper about his lecture also I really like the quote you posted as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie,
    I loved this video and was honestly happy I had the opportunity to watch it. He had some great points and amazing quotes we should considered hanging up on the walls of our future classrooms. He's helpful tips went beyond the classroom and turned into great life lessons. You did an excellent job at piecing together the main points he was trying to get across!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Allie,

    I'm Mary Alice, a student from EDM510. I have read and viewed "The Last Lecture" before and was equally touched and inspired by Randy Pausch's messages and zeal for life. In fact, one of my favorite parts, one that stuck with me, was the part where he talks about the brick walls. About how they're there to stop those other people. :) It's a humorous and important statement. We must persevere in order to succeed. And, let's not forget having fun while we go, eh?! That man is amazing. I'm so glad his message has gotten out to so many people. God bless him. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete